Hey! I’m Shaneen Thompson, a writer, moderate geek, and Jesus lover from Alberta, Canada.
Welcome to The Hoot and Howl!
moderate geek: [noun mod-er-it geek]
1. a person who has enthusiastic interest in a specialized subject and some mediocre expertise about the subject (compiled from definitions on www.dictionary.com)
2. a person whose interest in nerd culture began vicariously through her friends and now she’s gotten in too deep to get out
I feel equally at home in both cute little coffee shops and quaint rustic pubs. When I’m not at my regular day job, or writing at the Hoot and Howl, you can find me devouring a classic novel, binging something weird on Netflix with my husband, or playing an obscure board game with my friends.
While I’ve stated I’m not an expert geek in any particular area, I dabble in just about everything from fandom worthy tv shows to tabletop games to videogames. My general rule for finding something interesting is that it has a good story and good characters – plot/lore just reel me in. My interest in stories is just a part of my bigger obsession with words and language (guess that explains my Linguistics degree).
I started the Hoot and Howl because I was feeling trapped and directionless, but was not about to stay there. I set out to reclaim my passions and felt called to put them to good use. I strongly believe in the power of stories to touch lives, and the story of Jesus impacts a heart like none other. I’m super passionate about diving deep into the richness of God’s Word, and I’m here to share what I discover with you. Guys, I know how confusing the Bible can be at times. Sometimes I’ve got to dumb it down for myself, so I’ll be talking about topics in a super simplified, easy to understand way. And, as a moderate geek, I’ll be fitting together faith and fandoms, and helping you grow to be a bold Christian in today’s world.
I’m so glad you’re here, and I’m really looking forward to getting to know each other. Let’s start out on this adventure!
Find me at:
Facebook: The Hoot & Howl
Pinterest: Shaneen Thompson
Five Fun Facts!
1) My favourite fandom is Doctor Who and I can (and will) talk about it for hours (days...?). I’ve gotten to meet both Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman at local comic expos and that’s a big deal because the Twelfth Doctor is MY Doctor and I AM Clara.
2) As much as I like happy endings, I am a sucker for anything that will make me cry. Love those bittersweet moments! (*cough*DoctorWho*cough*)
3) I love (trying) to lay the smack down in Mario Kart (dibs Yoshi!) and Marvel vs. Capcom (I will beat you with Phoenix Wright), but I also really love co-op videogames!
4) I love traveling and so far I have been to four continents and eleven countries – and no, I cannot pick a favourite.
5) I love the ocean – which is probably the most tragic love story of a prairie girl you’ll ever read.
Photo credit (this image and banner image): Give Creative Studio
Here's some other places you can find me on the internet!